Monday, November 10, 2008

The Equality State

Mary Kettle’s column in the Saturday Casper Star Tribune hit me right square between the eyes. The day before her piece was published I came home from school telling the same story she told, almost verbatim. This was three days after Election Day, and I have to admit I was still on a high. One of those this is a freaking once in a lifetime event here folks highs. The voters had finally spoken, and spoken very articulately. We did something that should have been accomplished decades ago. I still get all gooey inside when I think of Obama’s acceptance speech, when I realize the doors of opportunity that finally got kicked open for millions of citizens and their children and their children.
At school, in the space I work so hard to grow feelings of trust, and care, and respect in I started hearing awful tirades from students. If you have ever worked with kids, had a kid, or even once had a face-to-face conversation with a kid, then you know. You know kids repeat what they hear from the adults in their lives. And if they hear it enough times they start to believe it. I heard “Now it’s going to be called the Black House.” From a sweet girl with a sunny disposition and a smile and hello for everyone she meets. I heard “Obama won’t outlaw guns, he’ll get us by outlawing bullets.” From a boy I have more than once commended for his caring attitude toward other students. From another girl who struggles like crazy with reading and writing I heard, “I don’t have anything against black people or anything, and I like black guys, I just think the President should be white.” Where do I even begin to try and help them see, to try and help them learn about diversity, and acceptance, and “All men are created equal?
I, like Mary Kettle, have to ask myself, is it only in Wyoming? I hope not. I guess that’s not true. I hope it is only in Wyoming. Not to put some kind of redneck curse on The Equality State, oh hell no. Just to be able to believe people in the other 49 states don’t have to listen to the hate and ignorance.

No comments: